Scooter Accident Injury Lawyers in Portland, OR
For almost 35 years, the personal injury attorney at the Law Offices of Jon Friedman has represented thousands of Portland, OR residents, including those injured in auto accidents, bicycle accidents, bus accidents, and boating accidents. Now our law office is preparing for negligent accident claims that will result from the introduction of electronic scooters to our city streets.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation Commissioner, Dan Saltzman, has invited popular scooter companies to bring their technologies to Portland, OR for a four-month, e-scooter pilot program in the summer of 2018.
Popular scooter companies include:
- Lime: Since May 2017, Lime scooters have appeared in over 65 U.S. cities. Lime has received $335 million in investments from Uber and Google-owned Alphabet to expand their operation into more cities, including Portland, OR.
- Bird: Operates over 1,000 scooters in 18 U.S. cities, and has reported over one million rides taken between September 2017 – April 2018. Bird has raised an additional $300 million in capital to advance its position in additional cities.
- Spin: Spin is operating in 19 U.S. cities, and is located on over 30 college campuses. They are currently seeking investments in the amount of $125 million to compete with Lime and Bird who have significantly boosted their capital in the past six months.
What Should Portland, OR Expect from Scooter Rental Companies?
Once the companies arrive, they will distribute scooters in popular areas throughout the city, allowing riders to locate them through the app, pay for access, scan a code, and ride. The scooters are dockless, which means they can be found just about anywhere in the city.
There is no defined system that guides the scooter’s return, which can lead to riders leaving them on sidewalks or alleyways once their rental is complete. The company websites suggest leaving the scooters near bicycle locking devices, so they are safely stored outside of walkways.
What Are the Rules for Riding a Scooter in Portland, OR?
Each company lists terms of service on their websites and apps, and they are all practically the same. Other details include the maximum speed of the scooter listed at 15 MPH. And depending on the company type and the scooter’s charging capacity, the ride can last for a maximum of 18 – 37 miles.
The terms of service state:
- Individuals must be 18 and older to ride
- Operators must possess a valid driver’s license
- Helmets are required during operation
- Riders must follow local traffic laws, lights, and signals
- No stunt-riding
- Operators are responsible for avoiding potholes or debris
- Completed trips require the scooter to be parked properly, out of walkways and streets
At The Law Offices Of Jon Friedman, Our Portland Personal Injury Attorneys Also Focus On The Following Practice Areas:
- Accident Injury
- Airplane Accident
- Auto Accident
- Boating Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Bus Accident
- Construction Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Dog Bite
- Pedestrian Accident
- Slip and Fall
- Product Liability
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Train Accident
- Truck Accident
- Wrongful Death
How Are People Getting Hurt on Scooters in Portland, OR?
Even when scooter riders take all the safety precautions necessary, the negligence of another can cause an accident with injury. When this happens, our Portland scooter accident attorney will help you take action against the person or company responsible.
Notable accidents throughout the country have resulted from:
- Lack of helmets available at the time of rental
- Riders negligently operating the vehicle without a license
- Underage riders using the scooters
- Malfunctioning brakes or tires leading to mechanical failure
- Lack of scooter maintenance
- Riders operating scooters while impaired
- Negligently operating scooters on sidewalks or pedestrian paths
- Pedestrians hit by scooter riders
- Individuals tripping over scooters left in the walkways
- Riders colliding with negligent drivers in cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, or another scooter
Severe injuries can occur during a scooter accident, including:
- Road rash, scrapes, and bruises
- Broken or fractured bones
- Torn tendons, muscles, and ligaments
- Neck and spine injuries
- Head injuries, including Traumatic Brain Injury
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of mobility
For over three decades, Portland scooter accident attorney at Law Offices of Jon Friedman has successfully pursued negligent vehicle operators who cause accidents with injury. If you have been involved in a scooter accident in Portland, OR, seek medical care right away and contact our Portland scooter accident lawyer for help.
Have You Been Involved in a Scooter Accident in Portland, OR?
Contact our scooter accident attorney at the Law Offices of Jon Friedman in Portland, OR at (503) 242-1440 today to schedule a free consultation. As the companies begin operating in the city, our Portland scooter accident lawyers are prepared to hold the negligent parties responsible for any injuries that result from the scooter’s rental.